Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Like Nails on a Chalkboard

Two quotes that I disagree with:

"When one door closes, another opens"

Unless there is more than one door. Say two doors close and then maybe three ..and then the final door. Whose to say that a door has to open? You could just be stuck in a square room..or worse, an elevator! You'd only need two doors to close to be stuck in an elevator.
And if you were a mime...well...I can only imagine

**For those that know latin: Post hoc ergo prompter hoc
**For those that don't: After this, therefore because of this. The door quote is an excellent example of this fallacy of argument.

"Do what you love and you will never work a day in your life"

This I have done and it is not true for this reason...when you do what you love and say this is what puts food on the table (as the quote implies *do* for a LIVING) well, then it turns into an obligation and/or commitment. And I have never found a commitment that wasn't at least a little work.
One example is I was a dance instructor. I LOVE dancing! But after teaching awhile, when the glitter wore off a little..it became work, just like anything else.
Another example is that I love being a mom, but if you tell me it's not work, I'll smack you in the face.

The glass is equivocal, thank you very much.

3 comments:

Megan said...

I'm with you. Someone actually pulled out the hoary old aphorism "everything happens for a reason" when they heard about my dead baby. It's even worse than all the phrases that start with "at least."

niobe said...

Heh. Until you explained it, I was interpreting your second quotation in exactly the opposite way -- as in, if you decide to just do what you love, there's no way you'll ever manage to support yourself.

Lori said...

Well, the first quote is just another trite oversimplification of the mysteries of life designed to somehow bring comfort when bad things happen. Why can't we just say, "Wow. This sucks." when we see someone struggling?

And I would also add that the second quote puts undue pressure, or unrealistic expectations, in the minds of those in search of their life's vocation. My husband would never say that his work is his life's dream, or his passion, but he appreciates many aspects of his job. He likes the flexibility, the variety, and yes, the income. But, in the end, it's a job, and he works hard at it because that is what grown ups do.