It is strange to be around all our other friends because now they have two kids under the age of three.
Apparently, after you have more than one it "gets really hard"......and no, I don't need anyone to reiterate this comment for the hundredth time, while I try and silence the inevitable launch of snarky and bitter comments which ensue inside my head. Luckily, I am able to contain them and keep them there, while remaining civilized.
There must be some element of truth though, because as we were eating dinner at a local pizzeria with friends, I felt like on their side of the table, was mass chaos and on ours, for the most part, there was calmness and order (well, at least when you have them side by side)
We are the only ones who didn't jump into the raging, crowded, noisy, choatic, yet seemingly full of merriment pool in the heat of the summer....
We are left standing on the diving board.
We tried to jump...but didn't
The quietness of the open air on the board is stunning.
Edited to add: I guess it's not that I "silence myself" but that the snarky comments don't come. I almost miss them as evidence to a passion for reminding people that their bubbles are not indestructible. But somehow, I guess I don't really silence the comments at all, but silence the desire for the comments to come. I guess this makes no sense at all but after re-reading and thinking about the night, I don't know why I put that I was trying to silence them. It was only after, when writing the original post that I thought to include this detail. As if it was somehow "missing" from my recount of the event.....strange.
Sunday, November 4, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Why silence yourself? If you want to say something to someone who is dumb enough to complain "how hard" having two is to you...say something back! Remind them of how easily they might not have had 2!
I just cannot believe the things that people say....and these are your friends? They sound pretty insensitive to say that, to complain.
I know how you feel.
I'm with Birdie. No need to restrain yourself. After one or at the most two snarky comments, you won't be hearing them say those hurtful things any more.
I, too, vote for the snark. How quickly people forget! Let them have it. At the very least because you don't need to also keep thinking about these things, and I know how they get stuck in your mind.
Post a Comment