My husbands company has decided to terminate our current plan, effective January 1st.
Our options are Kai.ser or a PPO.
I can't go change doctors three weeks before I am due. That is insanity! I mean, seriously? After all I have been through? Seriously?
The PPO or high deductible would have us out of pocket several thousands of dollars for delivery. The stupid rep gave Dh a sheet that has 'estimated costs' and for "normal delivery" it had $8,000. I can tell you right now because, (remember two years ago when I accidently got a bill for the delivery?)that estimate is dead wrong. Last time my 'normal delivery' was $35,000. So our portion would, depending on the plan we pick be either the max of $6,000 or $9,000 plus 10% of everything the rest of the year....
This makes me want to cry or throw up....or both.
I hate the fucking greedy health care system here.
Friday, November 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


10 comments:
I am so sorry! I truly believe dealing with insurance is one of the worst parts of being an adult. I have had all kinds of ins troubles lately and my company is raising the deductible and premiums and I will have to switch to my husbands at the beginning of the year... lucky for me my provider contracts with both. I can't imagine switching providers at this point (especially if you like your provider) but that out of pocket cost is astronomical, there aren't too many people out there that could afford that.
First, I doubt you can get around things if your provider doesn't have privileges at a hospital that contracts with your new ins, but if he/she does you might be able to negotiate a fee for the remainder of your time under their care. Seems like your old ins should still pay for the portion that you have already received. Something like that happened to a coworker of mine mid gestation and she worked out a payment plan with her dr. But if the hospital is the problem you may be stuck. Keep looking into it. Good luck.
I'm so sorry. As if things are not stressful enough...
Thinking of you.
Not sure who your PPO is but that seems way out of wack. As in really HIGH out of wack. Have you checked with Kaiser to find out what your costs would look like?And also what kind of care they offer for someone in your situation? Any chance your doc accepts that or might be willing to negotiate a payment with them? Also, have you talked to your doc about the possibilty of prepaying now under your current insurance, his portion of the bill and then having him/her complete service even after you switch? And maybe speak with the current company about taking the policy private for the last three weeks? And here is a long shot, what about working with the doc for an early delivery, IF, and I mean HUGE IF, the baby is ready and your doc is willing to go that route? I imagine that with what happened to Jessica in your history an early delivery is already an option being discussed.
And my hosp. gave me an 'est' cost of delivery before Cason was born and they were off by several thousand dollars b/c they had no idea I had already met my deductible with all of the special handling my pg after db required. maybe yours is way off too.
Just my two cents...and also, UGH I can't believe this is happening!!
UGH! how frustrating!!
i have a question, selfishly, so I'm sorry.
did they not charge you for the delivery of your baby who died?
honestly, i was thinking i wouldnt be charged. or that maybe my doc's office would just take the money covered by insurance and not charge me any of what's left over.
errr. that didn't happen.
I hate the system too. I am so sorry this is happening. I don't know what they're thinking or why they're doing it. Lord knows it's not helping your stress level.
I hope you get things worked out.
omg- i am so sorry!!!
my husbands company did this when I was pregnant too. sometimes you would been seen to have a "preexisting condition" that you would still get coverage. You may want to look into that with his HR dept. if not, it may make sense to pay COBRA continuing coverage for one month or more if you can -- I think withdrawal or change of insurance is a qualifying event which allows COBRA. Then once the baby is born you could move to one of the other options. You are right, regular births start at $20k and go up from there if things happen. If you were unfortunate enough to have no insurance when the baby were born, and were billed $20k -- you can usually negotiate to pay all self-pay bills -- 1/3 of the price of the bill is usually accepted if you pay in full.
ps - my insurance didn't want to pay for my provider bill when my baby died, also they marked me as "infertile" as of that date to deny fertility coverage later, even though his stillbirth was medically "unexplained" they also didn't want to cover the genetic testing we had at his death (not medically necessary) etc etc I have had a lot of experience with insurance companies and the system. its evil, especially when it comes on top of heartbreak.
So sorry. This isn't something you should have to worry about right now.
I am so sorry you have to deal with this right now. It is really terrible how insurance companies work and how they could care less about the welfare of the people they cover.
Im so sorry this is happening. Im a little lost as to all thats going on. Our system just doesnt work like that. Hope you sort something out though.
Glad the pg is all going well.
Hugs
xxx
Post a Comment