Friday, June 8, 2007

Wow..or not

I haven't posted for almost two days, wow.
Thing I learned this week:
I think I talk about Jessica a lot. Really, a lot. But that's what I do when I obsess over something. I talk and talk and talk..(you get the picture)
Problem is this seems to make people uncomfortable, friends, acquaintances, people I just met, ..family.
I start talking in everyday conversation, like there is nothing unusual about it. People tend to then look down at the ground. It's a little weird. Then pause. Awkward silence.
But so what?
Why shouldn't I talk? I WAS pregnant. I DID have a baby girl. Why CAN'T I talk about it?
She existed damnit! This was not just a dream.
So oh well. YOU may be uncomfortable. But I GET to talk about it. If you feel uncomfortable, that is your problem.
I like talking about her. I like telling people what happened. I like re-telling the memories of my perfect pregnancy. I do. I like talking about all the dreams I had for her. That is what moms do: TALK about their children. So why is this any different? I kind of like it when they get sad because, in a way, they are acknowledging her life. And that makes me happy. Yes, I said happy. Sure, I still cry. Maybe even every day, but most of the time it is for a few moments, and then they pass.
So if you see me on the street with the cloud over my head, better back away, or else, you'll get an earful of happy, sad, joyful and peaceful times.
I don't care. I'm just going to talk. It's my new prerogative.

edit:yes, I really took this quiz and this is how it came back. I thought it was fitting for this post:


I'm terza rima, and I talk and smile.
Where others lock their rhymes and thoughts away
I let mine out, and chatter all the while.

I'm rarely on my own - a wasted day
Is any day that's spent without a friend,
With nothing much to do or hear or say.

I like to be with people, and depend
On company for being entertained;
Which seems a good solution, in the end.
What Poetry Form Are You?

7 comments:

kate said...

Hi....thanks for commenting on my blog! And a note of welcome if i haven't welcomed you yet...i am so sorry for the loss of your daughter. I have looked at your blog before but i can't remember if i have commented...

It is indeed your right to talk about your daughter! I know that after my son died i didn't talk much about him (to people IRL), because it made them so uncomfortable. And the silence hurt so much....thank GOD for the internet.

Oh, with regard to cord accidents and trying again, you should check out Dr. Collins & the Pregnancy Institute, he specializes in cord accidents....it's www.preginst.com

The Goddess G said...

I say...talk away...that's what I do. Jessica was here...she existed...she is loved and she is missed.

I feel the same way about Joseph...and those around me get that now. And if they don't...it's their problem then!

Thank you so much for sharing Jessica with us.
~Carole

Julia said...

It is very much your right to talk about Jessica. I am very grateful to my IRL friends who never pretend A didn't exist or that I don't get to be sad. My friends made this little cocoon around me where it is completely normal to talk about all our pregnancies and all our babies. They don't cringe and don't change the subject. Of course, given that nice space they created for me, it was then a little hard to go outside of that circle that I knew I was so safe in. The thing about A being invisible to others-- that drove me crazy for a while. It still rankles, but it doesn't stab and twist anymore, at least not all the time.
I hope your friends get a clue soon-- you need them.
But regardless, we are still here, and we are happy to listen.

Lori said...

I think it is wonderful you are able to talk about Jessica so freely, though I wish you had a more supportive audience.

I think I would have liked to talk about Molly and Joseph, but I am such a pleaser that I never wanted to make anyone uncomfortable or sad. Now it's a little easier for me, because I am stronger and not so vulnerable to the responses of others. But, really, I still don't talk about them much...

wannabe mom said...

I am going to have your attitude regarding talking about my daughters too. It is most definitely our right. I'm glad you came out and said it, and reminded me of what I haven't been doing lately.

AJW5403 said...

I say talk and don't worry about others. I talk about my Daughter all the time. And yes some do get uncomfortable but I really don't care. I carried her for 22 weeks and gave birth to her. She is my daughter and those that don't like to hear about her can just walk away. I am going to talk about her.

Unknown said...

YOu should talk and talk and talk and talk! Talk about your girl all you want to! Who cares what anyone else thinks! She is your girl, your precious girl and you love her!


hugs!
Erin, Birdies Mama