Saturday, November 24, 2007

Strange Days...

These are strange days. I'm up, I'm down. Well, maybe not "up" but not "down". Neither here nor there.
I escaped T-day relatively unscathed. The day after proved to be an entirely different event. Mostly, because we visited part of the family that we didn't on T-day. And in doing so, caught up on all the gossip.
Dh's cousin is now 8 weeks pregnant.
Dh's brother's wife just found out they are pregnant (but SHHHH! don't tell! *yeah right*)
and Dh's cousin and wife are TTC

And all of this nicely packaged gossip was all handsomely gift-wrapped with a sparkly bow that posed the question, "so, when are you guys going to be announcing some good news?"

Tactfully, I replied, "Next summer. I want to lose all the baby weight and time it with the school year so I can continue working part-time at my job teaching"

The night, however, was where the fatal blow of popcorn finally struck down that brick wall (after having been bombarded all day with popcorn kernels). That night's dinner included a guilted grilled-cheese sandwich, tomato-basil soup, and two glasses of deep red wine.

7 comments:

Coggy said...

I love grilled-cheese sandwiches, with gherkins.
My best friend D is from Colorado and now lives here so she has me addicted to them.

It's hard to hear everyone just getting on with their lives, without the same considerations as we have to make for 'next time'. Sometimes I feel my plans are for the best, other times I just wish that I could just go with it and do what ever I want to. I had all my plans last time and look where that got me.

I might have to have a grilled-cheese today!

meg said...

I think that grilled cheese, soup and wine combo is about the most perfect meal. I think I might just try that myself.

Yeah, it's hard to hear other people's good news right about now.

c. said...

Red wine - any wine, in fact - sounds like the perfect indulgement in response to all that "happy" news that surrounds you. If nothing else, it may numb you to it for at least a few hours.
I hope you were able to enjoy the comfort of that meal. Hugs.

BasilBean said...

I'm at the point now where people don't ask me "when" anymore. Who knows, maybe they are imagining scenarios about why...maybe they are starting to figure out that it isn't always as easy as they had thought.

I found holiday gatherings to be very difficult for a long time. It sounds like you made it through pretty well, though.

(((((hugs)))))

thrice said...

"That night's dinner included a guilted grilled-cheese sandwich, tomato-basil soup, and two glasses of deep red wine."

OMG, my mouth is salivating. How I love all of that and how I deeply miss deep red wine. Sniffle.

niobe said...

That is an awfully tactful answer to an incredibly tactless question.

Julia said...

I like that meal, especially the wine part. It has helped me through many a night.
And yes, you were very tactful. I am not planning on doing that, I think. I feel like the people who are that nosy should be aware that the answers may be not the frilly mix of lace and sunshine they are expecting. So I completely reserve the right to make them feel bad. But I so respect your tact and restraint.