Monday, January 7, 2008

Dare...

Dare to dream
Dare to hope
Dare to reach, to leap, to fly

Dare to love
Dare to embrace
Dare to chance, to triumph, to fall

Dare to remember
Dare to hold
Dare to float, to wander, to run

Dare to believe
Dare to let go
Dare to keep moving, living, loving.


First day back at work(from winter break) was good. It was nice getting up, being productive...but mainly I was thankful for the opportunity to get out of the house and get out of my rapidly encroaching funk.

My students however, were still in vacation mode.
"Ms. B, can't we watch a movie today?"
Me- "didn't you do that for the past two weeks?"
"Ms. B, how was your vacation?"
Me- good, but I would have liked to get more sleep
"Oh, me too. I stayed up until 2 am last night...oh hey so and so remember....."
Me-Okay, moving on.
"but Ms. B...."


And WTF? the vicious people at the gym!? See, I belong to a rather unaffordable kind of uppty-but-in-a-nice-way-club. People are normally very courteous to each other: respecting the cardio limit while others are in line, wiping down machines, opening doors, being polite, saying "hi"...yeah, we pay extra for that. Haha. But lately I'm having flashbacks to my old big-chain-everyhour-gym....People are pushing past one another to get into the group classes, monopolizing the machines for hours on-end (pretending to glance my way and then reset the counter because they felt guilty I was standing there and they had been on it much longer than the limit), cutting in front of me to jump on the machine, leaving large sweat pools on the machines...eeewwww, leaving towels on the floor (hello! we don't DO that! Just because they have an excellent cleaning staff here does NOT give you the right to leave your crap on the floor! Pick up after yourself!!!!)....
I guess I just don't get the whole New Year's resolution thing. I mean, if you really "resolved" to do something, you'd do it- not do it for a month and then forget all about it and then make it the next New Year's "resolution" as well. But then again, I am a kind of definition/literal girl.
It's just when I resolve to do something, I do it. If it is something that I can't commit to, then I don't resolve to do it.

But that's just me. I just have to hang out until Feb. Then they will all be gone.
What an odd migration eh?

I do kind of like all the recent offerings of healthier alternatives though. The "fresco style" low-fat options at T-Bell, the new sugar-free syrup "skinny" offerings at Fourbucks. I was even pleased to see a wheat crust offering at the Take N' Bake pizza place.

...but why can't this be offered and aspired to all year round?

Okay, end rant...for now...

3 comments:

Coggy said...

I saw loads of people running on my way to work this morning. It won't last. I too don't get the whole resolution thing. Do it, don't tell everyone you are going to do it then give up. I read in the Guardian that apparently the best way for a woman to keep her resolutions is to tell everyone about it because then she won't dare not do it. For a man he should set achievable small targets.

Whatever, just get some exercise and eat sensibly all year round and then there's no need for resolutions. That's me in rant mode too, sorry :o)

a- said...

Understand the rant completely. Back in the day(before life happened to me), I used to work out religiously and hated the new year because I'd have to contend with the "newbies'. Now, years later working my way back to my former level of commitment, I try to go to the gym in the "off peak" hours to let the folks who are "regulars" stick to their established times, routines etc.

Maybe you could say something to the rudies like: Conformity is overrated. You don't want to wait in line-Look! There's a nice old Nautilus machine waiting for you over there to break in. :0)

On another note, is there a Taco Bell in your gym? I'd pay extra for that! ;)

niobe said...

As you say, it shouldn't be long until their resolutions are merely a distant memory.