Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Some good news....literally!

So, my boss (being the person she is) wanted to ask me something of a "sensitive nature"...of course, my mind went everywhere. But, it turns out, she wanted to know if I had heard that they are issuing certificates for stillbirth. She didn't know if this was something I was interested in and didn't want to make me cry. I told her this was definitely something I was interested in. Then off she went and grabbed the article that she had cut out of the newspaper.

She said, "I'm just watching out for you, you know, like a mother".

How sweet. I am very grateful and thankful for this person in my life.

So I read the article but need to do more research as to how to get one....hmm...

In other news....it's raining today again and I damned near cried during my lecture on radiometric dating. *sigh* I'm used to the sunshine out here (maybe that's why I was in such a good mood yesterday)

5 comments:

Brenda said...

About bloody time they gave certificates out. I still VERY strongly believe they should be 'birth' certificates. Lets face it, a stillborn bub is 'birthed'.

Hope you get one soon.

Hugs
xxx

Coggy said...

I can't believe that this is the case for so many babies. Why the hell aren't babies recognised just because they were stillborn?
I guess I should feel fortunate in the UK to not have to fight for this for J@cob. It horrifies me that a child would not be recognised in some way.
I'm glad that you may be able to get a certificate for J, I'm just sorry you've had to wait all this time.
As for the sunshine, I hope it comes back soon too.

c. said...

Your boss has a very kind soul. It must be nice to work for someone like this.

I also hope you get the certificate soon and you can feel come comfort in knowing your state has recognized the life of your sweet little girl.

a- said...

That is good news!! My state does not issue them but many hospitals usually include a "certificate of life" in the memory box they give to bereaved parents. The sentiment is nice if nothing else. I've read somewhere too-maybe another blog that Michigan has a tax exemption for parents that have had a stillborn child to assist with costs of burial, cremation etc. If true, that's pretty progressive in my opinion.

k@lakly said...

Hi there,
I am a CA girl too...I saw a similar article online and wondered if CA was going to do this retroactively for babies "born" before the law took effect. Have you found anything out yet? If not, I'll look into it and see what I can uncover.