Sunday, January 6, 2008
Do Not Stand at My Grave and Weep
—Lyrics by Mary Frye (1932)
Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glint on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you wake in the morning hush,
I am the swift, uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.
Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.
(Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there, I did not die!)
added lyrics by Wilbur Skeels
My addition (I tried to stay true to form):
Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am the flower that blooms in spring
I am the dew left glistening
I am the babe you hold so dear
I am the love you feel e'er near
When you wake in morning light,
I am the dream you left that night
On brothers' faces all the while
I am brightness in their smiles
Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.
(Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there, I did not die!)
And a challenge: what are you reminded in? (care to take a crack at it?) It was good putting into words everywhere I see her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Nicely done! Were you watching tv last night too? I was touched by this also. Glad you blogged about it.
Here's what I came up with:
Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am your taste for jam and jelly.
I am the single stretch mark on your belly.
I am the ache in ancient bones.
I am a million wails and moans.
When you wake to sob and plea
and make That wish on bended knee
Speak It to me and I will hear It.
I am your inner warrior spirit.
Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.
(Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there, I did not die!)
Ok, I'm not very good at this but gave it a try.
Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am the sparkle in your husbands eye.
I am the sunlight in the sky.
I am your strength when you are weak.
I am your courage when things seem bleak.
In every mirror I am the reflection
And will always know I am the object of your affection.
I feel your prayers everyday...
Never forget I'll be with you all the way
Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.
(Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there, I did not die!)
I'm impressed by all this poetic savvy. Really.
I may post my own at some point. Recent attempts at this have failed miserably :o(
Yay for the poems!!
I will try to create my own addition to the poem at some point. Right now I am crying! Thank you so much for posting this.
Post a Comment