It may be too early to tell, but so far, I am rather ambivalent about the New Year.
New Year's Eve was pretty low-key. DH and I went to a French restaurant for a decadent meal. I'm happy to say that although I felt like a weirdo, I ended up ordering a salad and soup as my main entree, while watching DH consume a 5 course meal. But overall I was pleased that I didn't over-do it on my "diet". I did have Creme Brulee for dessert, how could I not? and we did share a little cheese fondue as an appetizer.
I had a couple of glasses of a Pinot Blanc (hadn't ever heard of that before) and listened to a little French ensemble.
The rest of the evening was spent with a few friends and watching them drink and be merry. I wasn't drinking, so I just tried not to think too much about what would have been different.
But so far, the New Year is not really impressing me. There are too many balls in the air. Will my mom get a job? Will DH change jobs or will his current job get better (probably not)? Will we get pregnant? Will all the pregnant people I know right now have live babies? Will I get to teach summer school? Will I have my job come next fall? Will my son get on the waiting list for Charter School? Will my sister figure out what she's going to do now that she's graduated college? Will I lose all my weight I want to or get burnt out and have to start again? AAAAACCCCKKK....
My head is going to explode.
Where 2007 started off promising so much, 2008 is promising nothing.
I really hope that means that maybe 2008 will be good because maybe it will be bringing unexpected things?
It's the end of the first day of January and I am all stressed out about thinking about the coming year. I cannot even wrap my head around it as, like I said, we are going into it with absolutely NO promises of anything.
I guess I can't get pissed if things don't work out because nothing was presumed guaranteed, right?
How will I ever get to sleep?
Tuesday, January 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
I find that I can't think much further ahead than a week or so. If I do I feel like my head is going to explode and I feel utterly lost.
Well done on the soup and salad. That's real willpower!
I love Creme Brulee, my fav desert I can never resist it.
The pressure of a new year and "goal setting" is just too much IMHO. At least you have a list and you've tackled and are disciplined about the diet thing although I'm sure you don't even need it over there in the land of fitness and beautiful people. ;)
That's it isn't it? After our bubbles burst we realize that nothing was ever really promised to us.
While it's not promised, I do hope that things/events that you wish for, do happen. ;-)
I set my expectations low, so that I won't be disappointed. It's not the best way to live...but at least I know I can't be disappointed. I hate that the future offers us - guarantees us - nothing anymore. Maybe it never did, but the reality of this is just glaring now.
Uncertainty is hard. Questions without answers are hard. It is definitely enough to make your head spin. Try to take it one day at a time, looking at each day as a whole, rather than a whole year. So much can and will happen in a year's time, maybe it is best not to get too far ahead of ourselves?
At the very least, I am wishing you peace this year.
Lori has it right. One day at a time. That's all I can do at the moment and I'm trying to be o.k. with that.
Post a Comment