Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Through the Looking Glass

Funny how your perception changes as you are looking through different lenses, be them rosy or not.

I finally got glasses, and now everything seems like it's in high definition. The edges and angles are sharper. The colors are brighter. The lines are clearer.

I had no idea I was living in a fog. Until I put the glasses on, I had no idea how much I had adapted to my reality.

Perception.

With the budget what it is, my job is tentative for next fall. Because of budget cuts, summer school is now up in the air. The future is uncertain at best.

But now I know the reality is that nothing is ever assured. I don't get my hopes up. I don't expect anything, because my perception has changed.

I have lost the warm fuzziness that I had adapted to. My reality is now sharper, a little less kind. There is less for details to hide behind.

Although the future is indefinite, it IS clearer.
Finding the wisdom that no longer allows us to speculate about the things of tomorrow is unsettling and yet comforting at the same time.

There is no fear around the bend. I have seen the monster and no longer have to hide in fear because I can calculate it's every move, for his path is unobstructed. And that calculation is indeed infinite, and yet the limit is defined.

Glasses certainly make the world much more transparent, much more real.

Perception

4 comments:

charmedgirl said...

f*cking perception. hard to remember when you're in the eye of it; it's like you can't even trust yourself, you can't have a real opinion...because what's coming around the next bend will prove you wrong. even if you are proved right, what's the point? the only thing i am able to do is know that this moment, i feel ______. that's it. and maybe that's good enough.

c. said...

What an intuitive post. This new perception, the new glasses we wear that make everything so clear, suck. I hate them. But I'm glad I have them, in a way. I can't believe I lived without them for so long.

Coggy said...

I just got new glasses too ;o)

I think I'm starting to realize this a bit too, that I have no control over the future and that I just have to find a way to be OK with this. The perception that I used to have of having sort of control was flawed beyond belief.

Brenda - you can now find me at : www.lifecanbeashit.wordpress.com said...

I noticed you took the other post down. Hope we didnt upset you. :)

Huge hugs
xxx

www.lifecanbeashit.wordpress.com