That's what I did.
Well, some of it.
It felt good to purge some stuff. I think I brought the least amount of stuff, but also only had a few items left at the end. I even ended up making a couple of hundred dollars.
Ran into people I haven't seen in a year. One is pregnant and due next month. And got wind that another one might have had either a misscarriage or stillbirth (couldn't get the exact date) and possibly of twins. That news sucks....
My very pregnant sweet coworker showed up and got the rest of the things she needed, and so I felt happy that I told her about the sale.
I was going to buy a Willow Tree figurine from a woman because I wanted it for Jessica's shelf and we got to talking and I shared my story....she had just lost her mother a few weeks earlier and then insisted that I take it and refused the cash I had in my hands. I was touched. She was touched. We both almost cried.

It was good to sell and buy and give and receive.
As if for a short time, the world was balanced somehow. Without having to think about the environmental hazards in the production and disposal of all these perfectly usable quality items.
Almost makes you never want to buy anything NEW again...


6 comments:
Omigosh. I saw exactly that same figurine last week in a store. When I saw it, I thought, "Oh, what a nice present that would be for someone who's lost a baby." It took me a moment to realize that that's not the reaction most people would have.
How nice the lady gave you the 'willow tree'.
I was given one when Zak died and i loved it so much that when special days come around Scott always buys me another one.
Hugs
xxx
I had the same thought as Niobe, I guess we all wear different lenses in our not so rose colored glasses these days.
I had a friend give me the congrats figure when we announced we were pregnant with Caleb and then a different friend gave me the friendship one when he died...
I think they are all beautiful.
It's a beautiful ornanment. The woman who gave it to you sounds wonderful. Very touching.
I don't think I could have stood there but it sounds potentially therapeutic.
ditto to niobe and k@lakly's reactions.
sounds like a very special moment. i love that figurine. i just went to the website. i'd never seen her work before. there's a bas-relief keepsake box with a mother holding a baby and inside is written - "each day is a miracle". before i read the text and just saw the image, i thought...what a beautiful thing to give a woman who's lost her baby. for me, it should read inside "holding you always in my heart"
Post a Comment