Monday, November 3, 2008

Another Reminder....

Displayed in the breezeway at my son's school, some of the older kids have assembled their own altars for Dia De Muertos, the Hispanic holiday celebrating the return of spirits of loved ones. They were colorful with candied skulls and candles and pictures of loved ones who were no longer with us. My eye was drawn to the picture of the one with the smiling baby that was maybe a month or two old.

Someone in the school had lost a baby brother or sister. Some family had to say goodbye to their baby too, proving that db moms are all around us. There weren't any names on the altar so I don't know whose it was. But it was there. I envy the month or two they had shared with their little one, but still, I was sad they had to say goodbye.

I'm sure others who see the altar will wonder what happened, or how they could prevent such a tragedy themselves, or how long ago it was; but all I thought was I wonder who it is and how they are coping. We don't ask all the 'how' questions because we know it matters little how it happens, because it just happens. Babies die all the time, and we still haven't figured out how to stop that. And we seldom ask "how long ago" because we know that our love and our loss are eternal. We will forever long for our babies.

6 comments:

Monica H said...

As I was reading this,"all I thought was I wonder who it is and how they are coping."

Me too.

Cara said...

They, the dbm's, are all around us. They ARE us. Although wearing a sign, or a pendant, or - hell I don't know - a flashing neon sign is out of the question, it would be nice to know how to connect, how to respect each other with a small smile and a nod.

The wed have rings.
The un-wed don't have rings.
There is a pink arch for cancer awareness.
There are magnets on cars if your husband or wife is in Iraq.

Where are we?

(Sorry I just soapboxed all over your blog...but I think you might have just inspired a post!)

k@lakly said...

I hate knowing it happens, I hate knowing it will keep happening and I hate wondering if it will happen to me again....I hate it all.

I love that the school has that wall tho, that is beautiful.

c. said...

How anyone could ever believe that this is something we can get over is assinine. I hate those people. (Have I mentioned I'm bitter?)

XO.

~S said...

How true, and how tragic.

At our new church 4 of the 20 names on our "Day of the Dead" banner were babies. I have heard that at our old church 7 of 32 names were babies.

It's so sad. I hate that we are all in this "club."

Antigone said...

Always.