Saturday, November 15, 2008

Okay, I'm going to do it....

I'm going to look into seeing an RE. Thanks to many of your comments, I have realized that this is not something scary and necessarily outrageously expensive.
After thinking about it, I have always had irregular periods, maybe I have a problem with ovulation. I am consistently ovulating after day 20 and after consulting Dr. Google, he seems to think that if you ovulate too late, the egg may be too old. I have tried diet, exercise, giving up caffeine, alcohol, supplements and still I ovulate late (often after day 30). So even though we could rationalize that I've been pregnant 3 times (twice on the pill and once the month after I went off of it) and I am 26 (Dh is 32), have had clean bloodwork on thyroid and progesterone, maybe I do have a little problem. Heck, I joke that maybe I can only get pregnant while on the pill (maybe it wasn't a joke after all). Since I've been charting, once I ovulate I get my period about 14-15 days after, and have passed the progesterone onset test, so I don't think it's that.
Bottom line is, it can't hurt, right?
I talked to Dh and he said, "If it'll make you feel better, I'm all for it". How sweet is that!?!

Thanks Charmy for making me realize that it doesn't have to be a big thing and could just mean I need to get my ovulation started. I'm getting recommendations as we speak. Wish me luck.....I hope it's something easy to fix...

You know the irony is that when I was in my teens, I had this overwhelming fear that I would not be able to have kids. Everyone told me I was very silly to think this, I had years of fertility ahead of me, but maybe I knew something was not quite right all along, that my periods every other month were not something that was normal. Of course when I got pregnant with my son, these fears went away, only to return after. But then I got pregnant again, so with physical evidence to the contrary, I had to set my fear aside. Of course, it has returned. It's not panicky and I am grateful I have one living child, but it's still there....

(ps I do have a good philosphophical post I'm working up in my head, but have not had the time to put it to paper...er...screen. But, it's coming..I promise)

10 comments:

k@lakly said...

Sounds like a great plan. I hope they can give you answers and hope. Keep us 'posted' :)

Stacemoe said...

I am so happy you are getting things checked out...I am glad DH is supportive...like you said, it can't hurt and hopefully you will get some answers...Praying peace for you during this process...can't wait to "hear" more about the results!!!! Have a great rest of the weekend....

c. said...

I think you've made a good decision, missing. It certainly can't hurt, right? Wishing you the best, only the best. XO.

~S said...

I think this is a great idea. I'd be happy to talk to you about my experiences, etc. although I'm sure you are going to get lots of advice here. Our stories sound so similar.

Please fell free to email me anytime: indianaopenwindow at yahoo dot com.

BasilBean said...

I'm glad that you are doing this.

Some people told me to just relax when I was TTC this time--because I got pregnant with William the first month after going off of the pill. But I knew something wasn't quite right. It turned out to be something "fixable" and I am so glad I didn't spend more time than necessary wondering and waiting.

You will continue to be in my thoughts--I'm visualizing the best for you.

Ya Chun said...

Hm, now you are making em think I should pay more attention - I too thought 60 day cycles were great when i was a kid. Now they're shorter, but maybe not short enough? I guess I should track it...

Good luck at the RE and let us know what you find out! Surely this is a good decision for you!

charmedgirl said...

i had the same fears during my teens, because of my irregular periods. i got pregnant with my first husband when i was about 21 and then felt silly about thinking i wouldn't be able to...then had (to date) about a decade's worth of infertility (ETC). it's the biggest mind fuck in the universe.

and, you're so totally welcome. whatever happens, at least you tried, right?

Monica H said...

Sounds like a wonderful plan...you'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

((hugs))

Tash said...

Oh good for you. I tell you, I was so relieved to finally walk into the RE's office and say, "FIX ME! PLEASE!" Remember: their goal, business and personal, is to get you out the door pregnant, as fast as possible. It's a good thing.

I think part of the problem with ovulating late is that the uterine lining is already starting to deteriorate. So the egg may be fine, but the lining (and possibly your progesterone level, given the issue of ovulating in the first place) may be not so much. Could be one of a few things, I'm not going to speculate, but they're all treatable. hang tough.

Coggy said...

I'm glad you're going to see someone even if it's just for reassurance.
I meant to comment on your last post and say I don't ovulate until day 18-20 of each cycle then only have a 10/11 day luteal phase. It may be nothing to worry about. It used to freak the shit out of me when we started TTC, but now I realize that's just my cycle.

I hope you get answers.