I think the best thing you can teach a child, and learn yourself, is gratitude. How to be grateful. How to say "thank you". Because of the type of school I work at, and the type of overindulgent parents the students have (I think), I don't see a whole lot of gratitude.
And so today, when one student's parents, out of 55 this year and 65 last year, got me a box of chocolate and a card that says, "thank you", I was touched. When the principal asked me if I wanted to line up the card in the office with the others (they were little polar bears), I said no. I said I wanted to bring that card home, and hang it on the wall because it was my first thank you card from a parent in working at that school for two years.
I know I will not be at this school forever. I cannot give and give and give and get so little in return. They don't want to learn, they don't want to be there. They are there because the law tells them to. And so I don't get very much back. At least at the regular schools you have those one or two students in class who get inspired to learn just what you are teaching. But not these kids. They are too wrapped up in their activities and social lives after school, their game boys and other computer games, their texting, their drama with their friends, trying to get into trouble with the law while trying to stay out of it.
And it disgusts me sometimes the lack of gratitude they express.
When your teacher brings in cookies as a reward, don't ask for brownies.
When the school gives you muffins on Fridays for perfect attendance, don't ask for doughnuts.
When the principal wants to say thanks for helping us show off the school to important people with a free BBQ of burgers, don't suggest ribs and tri-tip.
Just say "Thank you".
Really.
"Thank you".
And I see it in that one city with the younger kids too. Oh yes, they start early. They give their kids any toy in the store they ask for, even after just throwing a full out tantrum. They threaten consequences, but then take the kids out to MickyD's just the same. The toddlers scream and cry until they get candy. Sadly, I've seen this over and over again in my daily life. It's no wonder they grow up to expect ipo.ds and wi.i gaming systems for merely passing classes.
Something is very wrong with the town. And it sickens me. I cannot even be around most mothers in my mom's club anymore because it disgusts me.
The next town over also is known for money, but somehow the kids are involved in community service projects, have chores, etc.
I want my child to be grateful. We go through the motions every day saying "please and thank you". We do this because it's important.
I am thankful to my students for showing me how important gratitude is. As much as I hate Christmas and the hype, it is a time for me to express gratitude to people I love.
And so that is why I am grinning and bearing it this year. Because I am grateful.
Friday, December 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
That was really well said. So sad, but well said. I'm grateful for teachers like you who make a difference in the lives of those who will eventually be voting with me, working with me, caring for me...you really do shape our future.
I'll be honest here and share an ugly fact about myself. Gratitude is something I struggle with. Not in the same way, but maybe an adult version.
I wonder why I can't live where I want (the city...not the dwelling) instead of being happy that my marriage has survived the horribleness (is that a word?) of the move, and more importantly, of the last two years. I struggle with not having friends here instead of being thankful for my friends far away. etc.
So, "thank you," for reminding me to always be grateful. For everything.
"Thank you" for writing this. Now if only we can get the parents of the ungrateful students to read this (and understand it).
You are such an amazing person and mother!!! I try to remind myself daily how blessed I am, despite things in the past or current circumstances...sometimes it is so hard to stay positive, but I try really hard for the sake of my daughter...I think I have mentioned before that I am NOT a Holiday person, but you try to go through the motions for your child..
As far as being Grateful and trying to teach that to kids, I am a Nanny and both parents work out of the home, so we are all there together and I try to teach the kids "Please and thank you" and to be patient and simple life lessons, but it is just so discouraging when you don't have the support of the parents and so frustrating when they just don't care...sad to say, but this is why the world has become the way it is with totally self centered people that expect everything...
I am GRATEFUL for you and this blog and the hope and words of encouragement it has brought me throughout my own journey....
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
when we moved a few years ago, we had a choice between a wealthy town, which is beautiful, and a blue-collar town, which is pretty but quaint. the only thing i could think of was the schools filled with rich kids...no way am i going to send my kids to school with rich kids. sorry, it's the one prejudice i have. i grew up around it and it disgusts me.
you are so right. let's be grateful for a minute...
Post a Comment