Monday, December 22, 2008

Season for Giving...

It's good for me to get out of the "woe is me" mentality where I get so sad and bitter, to crawl out of my egocentric hole for a bit and look the hell around me. I think what has gotten me through this whole Christmas build-up was that we helped out with the adopted family program where you buy gifts for a family in need.
See, the school where I work at was supposed to do this for two families, but the rich brat kids only shelled out a mere $60 (and with 58 kids, you do the math). So my coworker, Dh and I decided that instead of buying adult gifts for some family members, we would put the money towards these two families.
Last week, I treated myself to retail therapy of a different kind. And it felt damn good.
Between my coworker and I, we ended up getting everything on their humbling lists. Lists that included a basketball, perfume, clothes, sheets.
This should be a season for giving, not getting or wanting or pushing or shoving or hoarding.

Perspective gets me every time.

5 comments:

Monica H said...

It feels good to give doesn't it? I'm glad this made you feel good.

CLC said...

That's really sweet of you.

c. said...

That's lovely of you, missing. I know it goes a long way to help us to feel good in the moment. Hope that you get what you want soon, too. XO.

Stacemoe said...

Yes, we can never go wrong by giving to others and thinking outside of ourselves. It is always so much fun to bless other people and I am sure you will receive blessings in return...
Praying for you over the holidays and always!

k@lakly said...

Perspective indeed. It's what I wish there was so much more of around where I live. It is so lacking, painfully so.
What you did is what this time of year should be about.
Yay you!