'A' took a 'big brother' class today. Although it was a class for the children to ask questions, I timidly raised my hand to ask one that I forgot to ask my OB at the last appointment. And since the facilitator was a birth coach for the hospital, I figured she ought to know.
I asked if kids were allowed in the waiting rooms/recover rooms. Since the outbreak of H1N1 many of the hospitals have enacted a rule that says children under 16 may not enter the hospital.
She said 'no, they aren't'.
I started to lose it. Tears filled my eyes, I could feel my face go flush. And while she kept on teaching the children, I, for a brief moment thought in my stupid little head, "If it were two years ago instead of today, he would be allowed to hold this baby in the hospital. It should have happened two years ago".
Stupid me.
A was too young then to understand what was going on. He didn't go to the hospital, he doesn't know he had a sister who died. Maybe one day, when he is much older, I will tell him the story. But right now, I want him to hold onto that innocence. The innocence I lost.
And so poor A looked up at me, while trying to change the diaper on the baby doll, with that look of worry. The looked that begged "mommy, what's wrong?". I forced a smile and got up to get a glass of water. Later I told him why I was sad. I told him it was because he would not be there in the hospital, and I was sad about that.
No matter that he's been vaccinated for the H1N1 since the beginning of October, he will not be able to be there.
I thought about getting a doctor's note from his pediatrician, but Dh is doubtful that would change the policy.
Stupid paranoia....aren't there other things to be concerned with?
Saturday, January 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
That is crazy....I am sorry...I guess I didn't really take time to think about it, but that is crazy that no siblings can visit their new brother/sister in the hospital and have to wait to meet them till they are home...I guess the birth coach should know, but if I were you I would call and double check with the hospital...
Continuing to keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Praying peace for you until this sweet baby is safe in your arms!!!
It sucks. Our hospital enacted that, too. We were told that we wouldnt be able to bring Bobby back into the NICU to visit his sister until she was discharged! Thankfully, the head of neonatology gave us a pass, since it was only a few days. Definitely talk to someone. I'd recommend the chaplain of the hospital actually. Let him or her know your history and why it is so important for A to be present. They may be able to pull some strings and help you out.
Bella JUST asked me last night if she could come visit if her brother was going to die because she wanted to see him. I stupidly said, "of course!" Me with the promises, you'd think I'd learn. I haven't explored this yet, but I'm assuming if we move over to Children's they'll let her in. For some odd reason, they seem a lot more reasonable about things like this than regular hospitals.
I'm with Michele, I'd explain what happened and see how steadfast this policy really is. That really sucks.
Ah hun, that would have made me cry too. I had no idea. Maybe check again to make sure :(
You've already gotten such wonderful comments, I don't have anything to add. I just wanted you to know I am thinking about you! *hug*
Post a Comment