Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Coming out of the newborn fog.

What a difference a few days makes!
A's fever is gone and he went to school today! yay! Of course, every time I had to feed G in the middle of the night, I went downstairs to check on A. You know, check his vitals and all. I accidently slept in (the alarm was still screwed up from the power outage yesterday) and when I woke up, I ran down stairs to make sure he was still alive because normally he is up way before we are.

G is definitely coming out of the fussy newborn stage. He's awake basically ALL day with only short little cat naps. But the great thing is he is perfectly content to coo and smile and 'talk' at me. We play little games and rhymes. We do little baby gymnastics where I help him work on head control, grip, and pulling up. We go for walks around the house and the yard. He likes to look around at pictures but finds the sunshine a little harsh still . He doesn't like to play by himself much on his mat yet though. I am trying to remember all the things I did with A when he was that age and remembering how he was.

He does a good 5-6 hour stretch at night. He was sleeping very soundly swaddled in the swing and then I'd let him sleep with me after the last feeding around 4 or so. But he is escaping the swaddle/swaddle wraps/sleep sack swaddle. And he is wiggling a lot more which makes sleeping with me more difficult. I remember at around this point, we transitioned A to the crib, but I thought it was a little later (by a month or two). I remember it was when he was really starting to wiggle around in his sleep. I need to think about what my next step is going to be on this.

Tomorrow is G's two month appointment. Can you believe it? two months and he's still alive and thriving! In fact, I weighed him last week and he was 13 lbs and he has grown out of his 0-3 outfits both in length and in baby chub. I can't wait to get the stats tomorrow.

Having G makes me whistful about other newborns. I don't want to be 'done' . I don't want him to be my last. I know some mothers KNOW when they have their last and savor every minute. I think I'll just try and eat up every darn little precious moment anyways because they grow so fast. A is proof of that, he's going to be five in May. And It startles me to think about how J would have been 3...

3 years...why does time go by so fast? 3 years seems too far away from her.

7 comments:

Ya Chun said...

sometimes I can't wrap my head around two years either. Two years already? Only two years? IT's mind-boggling

That lil man is so cute!

mrsmaynard said...

Awww chubbalicious. E is still small, 2 months on the 24th and just fitting into 0-3 months, but she deff. growing and chubbing, just at hew own rate, she 7'6 at 1 month well baby so I am gonna wager she will be just around 9 at her 2 month.
I am finding all the exact same things as you, she is alert for 4-5 hours at once and sleeping a nice long spurt at night (5 hours last night, 4 the night before with feedings every 3 hours after that, but their only lasting 15 minutes now so were getting lots of sleep.
My big fear now is her damn ability to flip onto her belly and freak me the hell out..last night I lay her asleep, swaddled, between hubby and I free of blankets and pillows...I wake up this AM and she is on her belly...second time she did this..swaddled and all. Going to have to start unswaddling her once she is in bed and asleep so that if she does flip, at least her limbs are free.
What a wild ride..

CLC said...

He is gorgeous!

Glad you are enjoying each other!

k@lakly said...

So glad everything has mellowed out! I hope things continue to be this way....mobility is right arounf the corner:)
G is so darn cute!!! Love the outfit!

Maggie said...

He is the cutest! :)

~S said...

What a sweet baby!! So glad you are doing well. Think of you all the time... *hug*

G$ said...

Ah blissful reprieve from the crap you have been going through. And such a beautiful little smile, he is gorgeous!

Hang in there hun
xoxox