My default "sympathy" is now, "Well, it could be worse."
If they know they might pause and look a little solemn and say, yeah, I guess you're right
If they don't know, they might shrug and say I guess
I usually remind them that they are still alive and they have loved ones who are still alive.

There is usually a bum on the side of the corner of an on-ramp to the freeway as I make my way home from work. Often they are elderly and are holding a sign that says "Need work. Anything will help" or "will work for food".
So today, I had some almonds in a bag still and I gave it to one man who was on the corner today.
I think our economy is going into a true recession now. I know so many recently laid off...and I think it is only going to get worse with the housing market in most areas crashing.
But yet,
I could be worse
It still could be worse


5 comments:
It's a depressing outlook on life, but it is real and true. Plus I think it makes one realize exactly how much they have to be grateful for. I often think that some thought in my head when I hear my co-workers/friends who manage to end up pregnant even though they are on birth control and only had sex one time that month and that was in a hot tub (ok, I added that last part). And then they gripe about their ankles. And I think that exact thought in my head. And ditto your thoughts on the economy. Seems like are economy is built on a house of cards.. consumer spending on credit cards.
I worry that as soon as I think: "it could be worse," it will, in fact, get worse. But that's just my paranoia.
Sadly, i think you are absolutely right about the economy. Many people have bought houses with adjustable mortgages, which they won't be able to afford. They won't be able to sell the houses for the amount of the loan, because housing prices are dropping. And they don't have any cash reserves to tide them over if they get sick or lose their job. In my view, all the benefits of the economy have been going to the super-wealthy (say, those who make over $1 million per year). The rest of us, who work for a living are just scraping by.
After G died, a friend said, "Jenn, this just effing sucks. There are no other words to describe it. And I will never say anything effing sucks ever again because this is what it truly means to effing suck." She was right. It could always be worse. Always.
Yeah, I'm from the "could be worse" mode. It's the only thing that gets me by sometimes.
Yeah, listening to people whine about their "problems" gets me into the "are you serious?" mood more often than not these days. I actually worry a little about how I might handle stupid pg and baby talk if I should ever get that far again. Because you know everyone around always knows exactly how you should be feeling if you are pregnant or have a baby. Bitter? Who, me?
Post a Comment