Saturday, July 26, 2008

Letting go...

I have never done well with transition and this is no exception.
August seems so near, and yet indeed so far.
Do I let this 'cycle' go the wayside? I probably won't ovulate anyways.As seems to happen after things like this, or after any hormonal disruption. But do I give up hope? Will I have a long cycle? a short cycle?
I don't 'idle' well as my mother puts it.

Summer school has almost ended. We have four more days. Some things went down with a student last week. A student who I liked, but who made some bad choices. And I, unwaivering, had to turn him in. The result was him being escorted in handcuffs, mother trailing in tears. But I refuse to accept any blame for this. It was not my decision to make. I had no choice. There was no alternative in my mind. The choice was his, and he made the wrong one.

It's difficult. I am disappointed. He was making headway in my class. Doing well on assessments (which, I equate with actually paying attention in class and yes, 'learning'). He was so close to finishing--four days, and then let it slip through his fingers.

So much of life is striving for the things you want, then somehow having it slip through your fingers, only to be caught striving again, struggling again, having the same goal.

As he was sitting in the office waiting to be picked up, I could see in his eyes he was thinking "Where did I go wrong? Where did I screw it up? What was my mistake?".
Yes, there is a giant learning curve in this race we call life.
The Buddhists believe that we are here to learn. Every 'mistake' really a lesson. And if we do not learn from it, we will repeat the lesson.
And I seem to remember reading something in my high school history class about
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

So what is the lesson I keep screwing up? Where do I keep going wrong? I'm open, I'm receptive. But like I refuse to give the answers to the awaiting audience in my classroom, so do I know the answer will not be given to me. I can only hope I have learned enough....

5 comments:

Julia said...

there is a difference here. he had a choice to make. he had agency. you didn't. not in these things. random accidents of chromosome replication, adhesion mechanics, or any of the thousands more things that must go right for a living child to be born? where is your choice in that?
I wish you luck. Some old-fashioned random good luck. and lots of it.

niobe said...

I know what you mean about seemingly being presented with the same lesson over and over again. I keep bumping up against the same thing. But knowing that hasn't helped me to deal with it.

charmedgirl said...

i don't idle well either, when it comes to the big things. if, on the other hand, it means sitting on the couch watching idiotic television programs eating something with high carbs/fat/salt, i do pretty well.

and yeah, the lessons. the meaning. the desperation to get something from nothing...more than nothing, actually. the deperation to get something useful from something so F*CKED. it can help, but i think it's all just a mind trick in the end.

c. said...

I'm looking for the same things, missing_one. Trying to make sense, see the lesson, trying to learn something from a situation I never asked for. I'm hoping we all get our answers one day, although I have to say I am not sure they really exist.

Thinking of you. XO.

Tash said...

I'm also banging my head against the wall and getting repeatedly shocked. I guess I agree with Julia to some extent, but on the other hand, now I know, right? So I should be able to make some decision, one way or another without feeling handcuffed.

I'm sorry this landed on you to deal with -- that's not entirely fair or fun, either.