Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Simpler Life....?

Apples, grapes, milk, cheese, meat, blueberries...I looked over the contents of my trunk, evidence of the morning's procurement of the weekly groceries. I was satisfied; simple ingredients to make all of the meals for my family for the week.
Many of my friends are always in wonderment that I could formulate entire meals from just these simple pure ingredients. What were missing were the crackers, overly-processed breads, frozen dinners, and all the other 'necessities' that adorn the shelves of our friends and family. There was a certain sense of pride from making such lavish dinners from scratch, from only a finite set of pure ingredients.

And so I got to thinking. Maybe simpler is what I should be doing. Maybe it is time to clean out the clutter in my life; the messy relationships, the complicated planning, the need to buy things... Maybe I just need to live in the moment, with what I have, enjoying the here and the now, being consciously present. Maybe I should start more from scratch.

This video that I happened on earlier this morning also was inspiring:



There is beauty in the simple. In fact, maybe there is even joy in it.

4 comments:

Stacemoe said...

Thanks!! The video made me smile!!!!

janis said...

I'm with you.
Onward to a simpler life...

c. said...

I've heard there is joy in it. Charmy suggested a book to me some time ago called Peace is Every Step by Thich Nhat Hanh. I bought it and have muddled my way through a quarter of it. I'm still too wrapped up in my complicated past to get anything from it. I hope an appreciation for now, for simple, for each step comes soon though. I am hopeful of this and that is, at the very least, a start.

charmedgirl said...

that video is awesome!!! i want to do a funky dance all around the world!!!!!

(and that book is very good)