Friday, September 18, 2009

Oops, wrong button.

So, I was wrong afterall. It's a boy.
I hate when you get a non-talky ultrasound tech who spend the half hour looking at your baby in silence. As he kept getting more and more images of the heart, I started to get concerned. Finally I made a joke, "Geez, you guys sure take more pictures of the heart nowadays" (nervous laugh). He replied, "Not everyone, just me". He went on to say how much he loves the heart and how he used to do echocardiograms and how he feels the heart is the most important. Finally he was talking. He asked if we wanted to 'know', we said yes.
At the end, he said everything looks good and we were to wait for the doc. The doc asked what number baby this was for us. Earlier that morning, when I arrived, the tech asked me what pregnancy this was and I immediately said three, no blinking. But with the word 'baby' my brain did a double take. "Two, no three". I looked at Dh. He said "Three." The doc laughed. "what, you don't know?". I then explained. He asked how she died so he would know if he needed to be looking for certain abnormalities. "Nope. She was perfect. She got the cord wrapped around her ankle and as she was decending, it pulled tight and cut off oxygen. Just the damn cord"(nervous laugh).

He gave the baby another look over. Everything perfectly healthy, perfectly formed. I don't know if I was crying because of the explanation, or because I was relieved everything was good, or because I was so wrong about the gender. I teared up, but waited to have my good cry until I got into the car.

After trying to process my emotions, I came to the conclusion that I was so hoping it was a girl. Not for the normal reasons one might hope for one gender or another, but because of Jessica. After searching the corners of my soul, I knew I was crying because somewhere hidden inside, I thought that by having a girl, it would replace her..could replace her. And even though my logical side knows this is nonsense, I'd be lying to myself if I denied this. As if by having a live baby girl, I could do all the girl things with her that I couldn't with Jessica. I could almost see myself replacing a framed picture on my deadbaby shelf, and swapping it with a live one.
How horrifying.

But she is saved of course. She is still on her perpetual pedestal, sitting upon the shelf. My girl memories will only be of her and the what-could-have-beens, not to be replaced by newer happier mother/daughter moments.

How silly it is. I want a baby. I am happy for this baby. I have hoped for a baby so much it hurt. Now he can be his own person, more so because of his gender, he will not be living in her shadow.

14 comments:

Lea said...

So, so true. I am glad that everything looks good with the baby. Those appointments will always take your breath away.

A little brother for Jessica... how special.

PS. Boys are pretty awesome. :)

k@lakly said...

Glad everything is a.o.k. and how wonderful to be having a little boy!
I don't think I ever left the docs without crying with Cason. Even the good ones took my breath away.
Glad your doc listened to you and now will watch you, as you should be watched.
Are you going to c-section this time b/c of what happened with Jessica?

erica said...

So glad the u/s went well and that everything looks good in spite of the nerve-wracking u/s tech silences.

Congrats on your little boy! I kind of wanted a girl this time to make it very clear (to me and those around me) that my second child isn't a replacement baby, but there are days now when I think wistfully of little boys, of the chance to get back some of what I missed.

mrsmaynard said...

It's so funny how widely we differ. I wanted a girl because I didn't want anyone to think another little boy could ever replace Evan. It seems us loss mom's are 50/50 on if we want our next babies to be of the same or opposite gender. I however hope to have a third, second living, and hope that one is a boy.
Glad all is pefect, it was with our wee one as well, however, like you, our son died of a cord accident, so as much as I love hearing all the good news, I still know that in the long term it dosen't mean a thing..sigh!
Here's to both our babies comming pink and healthy and screaming in 2010.

Stacemoe said...

So happy everything looks perfect with your sweet baby BOY!!!!! How exciting! Praying all continues to go well.

c. said...

That makes perfect sense, the wanting to replace her part. I get it.

Happy to know all looks good. XO.

Tash said...

This is one of my biggest fears should I ever go down this road again. I desperately would want a girl, to have the family back that I thought I had for twenty minutes -- because that twenty minutes felt perfect. And yet, a girl would freak me out-- deja vu all over again, maybe girls are the problem, it would be too close, too painful.

Clearly, there's a problem there.

Wishing you well on the back half of this adventure. Hang tight.

Cara said...

Amazing what our emotions will do to our thought process, isn't it? I wanted a boy terribly after Emma died to avoid any comparing that would overcome me - the answerless quesitons I knew would chew me to the core.

When the tech said it was another girl I did burst in to tears with grief. I just didn't think I could do it.

Well, we've had three girls and now I just can't imagine my life any different.

Amazing...time and perspective. Jessica - you are well loved and remembered!

charmedgirl said...

it's not horrifying at all...i mean, isn't this what everyone on earth thinks we do when we have the baby after? "her baby died...but she had another!" when i was going back and forth about wanting to try for another pregnancy, i didn't want a boy. i wanted another girl so i could just HAVE MY GIRL. not have HER back, just have MY BABY GIRL. i think it's so muddled in the brain it's hard to know for sure. why wouldn't you want to have your baby girl? and the impulse to switch out the photo? totally normal but people don't say it. i'm glad you did cause now i can tell you i would have the same thoughts.

a boy! a little boy.
xxxx

Monica H said...

I have a special place in my heart for boys so I think this is wonderful news. However I understand why the tears flow. I would be heartbroken if I never had one because I've dreamt of what H don't have [in my arms] for so long.

I admire and appreciate your honesty.

CLC said...

I totally get this. I had the same thoughts. It's not logical, but I couldn't escape the thoughts either. But in the end, it doesn't matter as long as your little boy arrives safe and sound. The thought of having a girl almost scares me now because I don't know how I could separate her identity from Hannah's.

Michele said...

So glad your little boy is healthy and thriving! This is wonderful news.

Sending hugs to your heart...

Bluebird said...

What a wonderfully honest post. It makes perfect sense, though. It's it cruel how everything is so complicated in the aftermath of a loss?

Congratulations on your baby boy. So glad everything looks good.

niobe said...

Sometimes I think that nothing is ever going to be easy or simple again. Thinking of you.