Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter Sadness..

Although it was a day filled with fun stuff for the kids and family gatherings, today was sad.
I started thinking about G's birth and my labor. I can remember the hours and how it happened; the events leading up to and the events in between. Then my thoughts wandered to Jessica's birth and labor. And I don't remember. I remember when they hooked me up and gave me the dry line for the epidural and I remember holding her lifeless body in my arms. But it bothers me I can't remember the rest. Maybe it was the half dose of Am.bien they gave me that I ended up tripping out on. Maybe it was the shock. But all those hours between the start and the finish are gone....wasted time. I know there was at least six hours in between those two events, I just wish I could remember them. Today I was also down that my MIL has cancer and just started chemo. I hate that she has to go through this. I hate that they try to pretend things are normal when they are not. I hate that I can read the fear on their faces. My MIL is the sweetest lady, always putting others before herself and I just wish she didn't have to do this--go through this. The tension and fear in the air made me cry- not because I was afraid she'd die, but just for her having to go through this awful thing...
On the positive side..
G is getting so big and I love him so much. I love the smell of the top of baby fuzz on his head. I love his smile. I love his giggle. And in those moments, it makes the grief so much more bearable. While filling the kids' Easter baskets, playing mother of two boys, I almost believed for a moment that that was who I was- a mother of two. It scares me how real this feels. I finally have the family I had wanted. And it kills me a little that their giggles and hugs make me forget for those moments that I am a mother of three. But I am happy---over the moon-honest to god-happy.
It's not all roses or sunshine or rainbows. I know that it's hard and not easy or effortless. But if losing a daughter has taught me one thing, of many, it is that being a mother is hard. Once you have a child in your womb, you are forever changed. You forever make sacrifices. Having two that I can hug and squeeze in person makes it completely worthwhile to where you forget the work that tirelessly loving can be. Being a mother is exhausting in so many ways, but having my living sons turns me into a puddle of grateful goo. They have to take in the extra love I had for J. Because her love is still so real it has to materialize. I just hope my boys can soak it all up for her.

4 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Happy to hear things are going well, but am thinking of your MIL and hoping everything is easy and as pain-free as possible for her.

Your boys are lucky to have a mom like you!

Maggie said...

I agree! Your boys & Jessica are so lucky to have such an awesome Mommy! I am very sorry to hear about your MIL. I hope her chemo goes as smoothly as possible. I'm thinking of her for you. (((HUGS)))

G$ said...

I'll keep your MIL in my thoughts.

Your two boys and Jessica feel your abundance of love every day, even on the down days.

xoxox

Mary Beth said...

So after posting my comment I got to thinking about your two boys soaking up your love for Jessica--it's beautiful way to think about her being with you, always.

Thinking of you.